Saturday, July 4, 2009

Where is your Eco-Friendly Bag?

On you way home, you pass by the supermarket, suddenly feel like buying some oranges and a carton of milk. However, you forgot to bring your eco-friendly reusable bag to carry the items and it would cost you HKD 0.50 for each plastic bag ... so what would you do ? Please select one of the following scenarios that best suit you:
  • (i) head back home, find your eco-friendly reusable bag and head back down to the supermarket for the two items you want.
  • (ii) head to the fruits section and milk section, pay the HKD 0.50 per plastic bag surcharge and head home.
My pick would be (ii) without a doubt. Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of a greener lifestyle; however, most guys just don't bother to bring or to remember to bring this bag when going out every time. Of course I speak for myself only but I believe I am not far off on this assumption. Ladies have their purses but not all guys would carry a bag or briefcase. Even if they do, the last thing you would find is a spare reusable bag for the purpose of spontaneous grocery shopping. That's just the nature of guys, sometimes cannot be bothered with carrying unnecessary items.

The significance of HKD 0.50 per plastic bag is relative; one may find it too insignificant to be bothered, others may find it unacceptable because it used to be free to grab. The point I am trying to make is that HKD 0.50 per plastic bag is not significant enough in absolute terms to make an impact or detriment to a large percentage of Hong Kong's population, especially to the male population. I personally doubt the effectiveness of this city-wide campaign in the long run but only time will time ... and I do hope I am wrong ...


Picture from: http://www.epd.gov.hk/

2 comments:

cutieviv said...

Another scenario could be as follows:
(iii) go to the fruits/veggie section, grab a transparent plastic bag and fill in 2 or 3 oranges, then pay nothing for the bag and go home and contemplate going back for the milk the next day.

Jason said...

I LOVE your suggestion !! ... maybe i place my milk in those transparent plastic bag as well? HAHA ... good idea !!

Post a Comment