Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Call for Love 爱情呼叫转移

The first time I saw this movie was on TV but I only watched the second half of it. Being a curious person, I cannot stand not knowing what happened in the first half of the movie. Therefore, I began my quest in search for this movie. The quest lasted 2 whole months but it was worth it.

The movie talks about a 30 something years old man who filed for divorce because he was bored with the 7 years marriage and has somewhat lost his belief in love. By chance, he obtained a "magical" remote that allows him to have 12 different love encounters with 12 beautiful girls of different age, background and social status. Obviously, each of the 12 girls have a different personalities and their own expectation / requirements for their second half. I believe that the intention of the directors or the plot of the movie is to use the 12 love encounters to depict / illustrate how the rapid economic development and social advancement in China over the past few decades have changed (or remained unchanged) the Chinese's mentalities towards love and marriage, especially in female's perspective. Sometimes men have no clue what they really want as well. By way of examples, the following are some topics covered among the 12 love encounters:
  • (1) So you are divorced without kids? That's alright, you are fertile right?
  • (2) How many flats do you own? with mortgage?
  • (3) I don't care, I just want some exciting and memorable love !!
This movie is by no means an Oscar material but it is an entertaining movie that one might find familiar because of the parallels they can draw from their own experiences. Many of the female actresses are rising stars in China as well. I think they came out with Call for Love 2 recently with an even larger cast, let me start my quest once again !

Picture from: Wikipedia

0 comments:

Post a Comment