Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Conversation with Taxi Driver

I missed my shuttle to home so I took the taxi instead. During this 5 mins ride, my taxi driver in his early 50s I assumed, tried to strike a conversation with me and somehow led to the following ...

Driver: " ... the younger generation of taxi drivers ... fxxk man, they think they are race car drivers, neglecting passenger's safety! It is a shame to the industry, really! ... fxxk! ... it is a service industry afterall! "
Me: "I have to agree with you, the same seems to apply to bus drivers nowadays."
Driver: "Don't you get me started with bus drivers and mini bus drivers! [raising his voice by 3 levels] ... not only do they think they are race car drivers, they just don't give damn about the passengers ... they break like he is driving his own card and I was rocking on the bus, not to mention those elders who can't even stand still properly! ... this is sad you know!"
Me: "yes I know ... I agree ... "

And I do agree with him, how about you? I was speechless because he was so right! Drivers, all kinds of drivers nowadays, are driving as if they are F1 drivers! Complaints are useless ... sigh

I enjoy chatting with taxi drivers for many reasons and the above meaningful exchanges encourage me to do that more often!



---

4 comments:

Unknown said...

how was his driving tho? hehehe

Jason said...

Relatively conservative haha

Anonymous said...

i live on lantau island. had to take my kid to see a doctor in TST once. i never like taxi but had to take it that time. big mistake. the guy is in his late20s or early 30s. he had half dozen mobile phone sets infront of him. apparently he worked as a co-ordination centre for other taxi drivers. he was literally talking non-stop between different phone sets and even took notes with a pen a few times during the 1/2 hr highway driving. is that allowed? me and my kids were so freaked out we dared not say a word. when we got off, the driver even gave us his name card for future call cab service. does he have any sense at all?

Jason said...

@Anonymous: The type of drivers you encountered must have been the "call centers" for his network of drivers and I have experienced quite a number of such adventures as well. The max I saw was 7 handsets and 4 of them ringing at the same time. Sigh, they are putting all of us in great danger!!

Post a Comment