Sunday, May 31, 2009

My very first visit to Lamma Island

After several days of non-stop raining, it is time to get out of the house and get some fresh air (or at least what 's left of that in Hong Kong). My friend invited me for a little outing to Lamma Island and I accepted without much hesitation. The following blog focuses on the non-food aspect of my trip and if you are interested in what we ate, check out my other blog @ http://jason-bonvivant.blogspot.com.

It was my first time to Lamma Island and I was both nervous and excited about what is there to eat and how many mosquito bites I am going get. We started out trip from the Yung Shue Wan (榕樹灣) towards the direction of Sok Kwu Wan (索罟灣). Soon after we started, we encountered something unusual and funny: a cat on a leash! Not only was the cat on a leash, it meow-ed (and scared) away the dog 6 times its size. It was quite a scene! I am surprised the owner would actually do that to a cat, funny indeed. About 15 - 20 mins into the walk, we came by a dessert hut famous for its Tofu Fa called Kin Hing Tofu Dessert (建興亞婆豆腐花). The tofu fa was disappointing indeed as I mentioned in my food blog so we moved along the trail towards our next destination.

For those who don't know, there is actually a wind turbine in Hong Kong and it is located here in Lamma Island. It is called Lamma Winds. If you ask me, it is more like a tourist attraction than a actually energy generating infrastructure. On the day we visited, there were no wind at all as you can see from the display at the kiosk below the turbine; but it was the turbine was turning still. Maybe it is the momentum or maybe it is not running by the wind but on the reserved battery. How ironic ! In any case, it was a nice scene especially with many flowers all over. Some teenagers enjoyed the surrounding so much that they jumped out of fence to take pictures in the middle of nowhere.





By the time we were done walking up and down the hill on a separate path to the wind turbine station, we were sweating quite a bit already. It was a good time to take a little break and hence we sat down for a drink at Concerto Inn (浪濤軒) situated right at the Hung Shing Yeh Wan (洪聖爺灣). It was a nic sitting in front of the beach, watching kids running around enjoying the lovely Sunday afternoon. Just before we were heading away from the beach, we saw something surprising, something we rarely see in Hong Kong. It is a little plantation with a cozy hut where people relax and have tea. It is called Herboland 香草原 and there were all kinds of herbs being grown there. My guess is that the public can pay a monthly rent for 1m x 1m soil to grow whatever herbs desire.





The remaining walk was mostly uphill and my pace started to slow not because I am getting tired of course but the steeper path. On our way to the so-called peak / highest point, we saw a couple sitting way out into the edge of the mountain side, sitting back to back, looking up into the sky aimlessly. Whatever they were searching, their sitting posture and location successfully attracted our attention.



As we arrived at Sok Kwu Wan (索罟灣), it was only around 6pm and the staff at the different seafood restaurants there pissed me as I mentioned in my food blog. Therefore, we went back to TST and had a delicious Indian dinner at Chung King Mansions. I am usually not an outdoor person especially where there are alot of flowers and grasses but it was certainly a very relaxing experience and nice to get out of the house for some fresh air and most importantly some much needed exercises.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

What a nice entry. I like the spider pic!

Post a Comment