Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Generation Z?

I read this article from The Standard talking about internship opportunities in Hong Kong for university students. Many students are complaining about the job nature of their internships and how boring their work are. The author mentioned a hilarious story which I captured below. I do not doubt that it is indeed a true story because I have personally encountered a few internship students who were stumbled by similar tasks.

When students say clerical work is dull, it reminds me of a true story. One day my friend handed an intern a document to fax to a client. Half an hour later, the client called, and angrily demanded to know why the document had been sent more than 20 times.

My friend checked with the intern, who said: "I didn't know if the fax machine was out of order. Every time I keyed in the fax number and pressed the start button, the document just rolled out. So I tried again and again."

This student thought that the document would be sent out only if the fax machine swallowed it.

I can't help but laugh at this story. Unfortunately, one should feel sad indeed. Maybe this is one reason why most employers in Hong Kong prefer to hire people with years of working experiences plus an exact skills set match instead of investing in potentials. These potentials would require alot of investment indeed. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment