Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Art of Observation ...

I am not weird at all, I just find it interesting to watch people, study their behavior at different locations, settings and times. The way how each individual behave tells a unique story and I often let my imagination fills in the blanks to complete the story.

When I watch people dance in a Jazz club / lounge, I often see people with a genuine smiles on their faces, expressing their emotions through their steps and moves. Loving couples would dance passionately and look at each other in such a way that some passionate kissing are bound to occur. Not to mention the occasionally ass grabbing.

When I travel on the MTR, there are all sort of things that interest me. I realized a while ago that there seems to be a pattern of things one sees during different time of day.

Morning Rush Hour @ MTR
  • People reading newspaper (from hard copies, on mobile phones or people reading off other's)
  • People sleeping / napping either standing or sitting down
  • People listening to their music
  • The general atmosphere was rather quiet and depressing with very few hints of smiles or energy which morning stands for.
Evening Rush Hour @ MTR
  • People Reading Tabloid Magazines
  • People chatting energetically over the phones (where did the energy comes from?)
  • People listening to music
  • Not smiles once again but plenty of raised eyes brows as a result of crowds pushing onto the train at every major station.
  • People getting out of the train by squeezing through the crowds without saying excuse me
  • People standing still in the middle of the train door without a slight intent to move aside to let passengers alight the train
Evening at coffee shops
  • People discussing about their financial futures and other related insurance options.
  • Students reading through their notes with their head nodding along the musics from their iPods.
Outside Jockey Club Betting Branches
  • Groups of middle aged men standing or leaning against the street rail outside the branches with newspaper in one hand and a radio or some sort on the other
  • People sitting inside the betting branch, all facing a row of monitors hanging off the ceiling displaying a bunch of numbers flickering in different colors. (which reminds me of groups of ladies and lads inside bank branches all looking up into a single monitor with their fast moving hand over a number pad
I don't know why but I find all these little details very intriguing. I like to piece all these details together in understanding how such behavior come to be so. Eating behavior is another interesting area to explore in my opinion.

2 comments:

KennyT said...

And tens of thousands of girls putting on their FULL make up in public vehicles, do you find this scene strange? LOL

Jason said...

@KennyT: yes you are right, I missed that for sure! This is some difficult skills to master indeed! lol

Post a Comment